Have you ever had trouble praying? Maybe you’ve felt tired of praying the same thing for a very long time like I have, or perhaps you’re not sure what or how to pray in certain situations; or you have doubts whether or not prayer works. We all have had these struggles at one time or another. When we look at our country and our world, it can be one of those particularly discouraging times when we’re not sure how or what to pray or if it will make any difference.
But pray we must. There is power in prayer. Sometimes it may take a long time–I prayed 13 years for my son to be delivered from a drug addiction. Do you think I thought my prayers were hitting the ceiling? I sure did! But I finally realized my prayers were getting through the ceiling. God was listening and working the whole time. And He not only answered my prayers, He did exceedingly abundantly above all I asked or imagined, as it says in Ephesians 3:20. My son is a pastor now. I hope that testimony encourages you to pray and keep praying.
“Always pray, and don’t lose heart.” -Jesus, Luke 18:1
With that in mind, let’s not get discouraged about our country and our world. Let’s keep pushing back the darkness with our prayers. Let’s make today a time to renew our commitment to pray continually and fervently. And just in case you feel disheartened, here’s some prayer ideas for this National Day of Prayer (taken from a couple of previous blogs about ways we can pray, like praying scripture).
From “Prayer Is Not Cancelled“:
From “The Lord’s Prayer for America“:
Jesus said, “Pray then like this…” (Matthew 6:9). We can use the Lord’s Prayer for ways to pray for America or any situations in our lives.
- Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name – This is worship. “Enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with praise” (Psalm 100:4). Remember all He has done in America and thank Him for this wonderful country. Remember He is our Father, Creator, and He is holy. Pray that His holy name would be known and glorified. Pray that we Americans would love Him with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength (Luke 10:27) as God intended and as those who risked everything to birth this country did.
- Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in heaven – Pray for believers to be lights and to show what His kingdom is like; for love and unity in the church and in this country. Pray His will to be established in our land; for religious freedom; for Israel, Afghanistan, etc.; for the life of the unborn. Pray for awakening and revival to come to this land and spread throughout the world.
- Give us this day our daily bread – Pray for the needs of those who are hurting and in need; that our country would continue to bless other nations and be a shining city on a hill to the rest of the world. Pray for God to provide protection in our land and that no weapon formed against us will prosper (Isaiah 54:17). Pray for our leaders (1 Timothy 2:1-2).
- Forgive us our debt as we forgive our debtors – Confess that we have fallen far short of God’s glory (Romans 3:23). In light of 2 Chronicles 7:14, ask God to show where we might personally need repentance. As you confess and repent of specific sins, ask that He will forgive our sins and cleanse our hearts and our land of unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). Thank Him for His mercy and grace, and ask for mercy and grace to extend to others, including those in our government who we may not agree with. Ask for help that no sin or unforgiveness would hinder our prayers (Psalm 66:18).
- Lead us not into temptation – Seek His help to not be tempted to participate in the sins of our land, to not be conformed to the patterns of this world; ask for renewed minds (Romans 12:2) and Godly desires (Romans 13:14). In light of what was confessed and repented of above, pray we would resist the devil so he will flee (James 4:7).
- Deliver us from evil – Pray that He would frustrate the plans of the wicked (Job 5:12), and what our enemies mean for evil God will turn for our good (Genesis 50:20). Pray for justice, that any corruption will be revealed and dealt with, that truth will set us free (John 8:31-32). Pray that the wicked will be caught in the schemes they devise for others (Psalm 10:2); that God will not let the wicked rule over us (Psalm 125:3).
- For Yours is the Kingdom and the power and the glory – The Lord’s Prayer begins and ends with worship. He is able (Ephesians 3:20)! Let’s pray that His kingdom, power and glory would be manifest in our country and in the earth! Show us Your glory, Lord (Exodus 33:18). In Jesus’ mighty name, Amen!
“Take heart! I have overcome the world.” -Jesus, John 16:33
I hope you will continue to pray these or similar prayers for our country until we obtain victory and see our land healed, as in 2 Chronicles 7:14.
Are you doing anything special on this National Day of Prayer?
What would you add to this prayer for America? I’d love to hear from you in the comments here or on social media.
Thanks so much for stopping by and praying with me!
Ironically, today’s verse of the day on the Bible App is:
Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. Romans 8:26 ESV
When you subscribe to this blog, you can download the FREE ebook, Prayer Devotion and Coloring Page, here.
For more about prayer, check out the book,
Pursuing Prayer – Being Effective in a Busy World here